Re: [IP] lows at night & being a kid with diabetes

Hi Michelle,

I agree with you 100% (not the parts about your mum as I don't know her

I had pretty much the same experience with my parents and firmly believe
that you have to learn to take care of the things yourself. I would even
go as far as saying the sooner the better. I was diagnosed at age 11 and
my parents got the basic instructions but that was about it. It was
pretty clear from the start that they would support me but it was my
responsibility to give myself shots and measure my bg. Of course I didn't
always do it as often as I was supposed to but I still believe that is
the only way to learn it.

>From: email @ redacted
>To: email @ redacted
>Subject: [IP] lows at night & being a kid with diabetes
>Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 01:24:38 EST
>Hi all,
>I don't post often, but I had to put in my two cents worth here. I don't
> want to offend anyone, but maybe if you would wake up your child
>not ! talking about young children) so they could test their own bg that
>help. I was diagnosed at 14. The only time my mom tested my bg was for
me to
>show her how to use a new meter. She did however, wake ME up some nights
>she would peek in and be worried. I remember one night about a week
>getting out of the hospital (BG at diagnosis was 1,990...what a LONG
> stay!) I woke up with her peering at me with her face maybe an inch
from mine!
>She told me it scared her that I might just stop breathing one night. I
>it's hard for parents of diabetic children and that made me feel awful.
I know