[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #820

Amanda wrote:
subject shows: Profile of Raquel Oliveira <email @ redacted>
"I am 16 years old and I have diabetes since I was 12 years old.  I need to
take insulin 4 times per day and even with a hard diet my sugar is ever
high.  I miss school a lot times because frequently I have to go to
I need some information about insulin pumps.  I don't have any idea how can
I obtain one.  I applied for the Chilcare insurance in a hospital and they
approved, but I really don't know if I can apply for an insulin pump with
this insurance."

Amanda, in which state do you live?  If you applied for "...insurance in a
hospital and they approved" then it seems the hospital should know whether
or not a pump would be covered, or at least a telephone number where
you/your parents could call to ask if pumps are covered.  Another resource
could also be to check with the pump manufacturers (all have websites to get
telephone numbers) as they may be able to tell you whether or not you would
be eligible with that insurance.   You could also contact your local ADA to
see if they have any knowledge, too.  I believe in New York State the
Childcare program covers pumps, unsure about other states, but it seems if
your doctor (you do go to an endocrinologist, correct?) supports your desire
to use an insulin pump, will fight for you with the insurance, then you
should be able to get a pump if you want.
OK, parents of pumpers, what suggestions can you give Amanda?  How about
websites for her to join to chat with other young pumpers?

Marj; Mike (I'm not into computers, but glad to be on this list); and "Ace,
the PP" (portable pancreas)