Re: [IP] losing wieght

Tina Martin <email @ redacted> wrote:

> What i don't understand is how my insulin needs have changed sooo much in
> weeks but my wieght isn't doing anything????

First of all, congratulations on taking the initiative and beginning an
exercise program.

Muscle mass is much denser than fat.  The weight training in particular is
probably adding quite a bit of muscle.  If your weight is remaining
constant, it means you are shedding fat tissue.

The reduction of fat and the increase in muscle mass means there are more
insulin receptor cells to take up the glucose.  Perhaps more important is
that exercise causes muscle cells to use other mechanisms to get glucose
into the cells, not just the insulin mediated receptors.  All of these
combine to reduce your insulin needs while probably getting better control.

Jim Handsfield