Re: [IP] Flying without Labels

>>>I am going to California for several weeks (Auburn - the other side of Sacto) and was planning on having my 3 month supply of infusion sets delivered prior to leaving on the 10th.  Since I live in the Mid-west - Arkansas- I will be flying on several little airlines -- I am nervous about ending up in California with my supplies in Salt Lake or Phoenix.  Do I have to buy individually labeled boxes?  I still have the original bag (with the prescription label on it.)<<<

I flew with a similar situation.  First of all, you've got to have your insulin in your carry on.  It won't end up elsewhere, for one thing, but more importantly, with temperature fluctuations in the luggage area, it is simply not safe for the insulin.  If the insulin is destroyed due to bad temperatures, it may as well BE in Salt Lake or Phoenix, for all the good it'll do you.

I'll tell you what I did, but I must admit, it wasn't tested with someone actually looking at it and approving or giving me grief.  I follow the "don't ask don't tell" policy with my pump and supplies, and have never been further questioned.  I send the supplies through the scanner with no mention of the sharps, and haven't had anyone say anything.

I only needed two bottles on my trip.  I took the extra bottles that I wouldn't be needing out and left them in my refrigerator at home.  Then I took the two vials I needed on the trip in the bag with the pharmacy label.  I figured that should be good enough.

If you need all your insulin, just take a big carry on bag.  You should do the same with all strips for your meter.  They're just not meant to withstand extremes in temperature either way.  It would probably be best to have at least some of your pump supplies in your carry on, as well, in case your luggage does take an extra trip.

Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990

One click access to the Top Search Engines