subscription service.

Jim Handsfield

American Diabetes Association
Advocacy E-News, November 26, 2002

Happy Thanksgiving to our diabetes advocates!

For those planning to fly this holiday weekend and over the next
few weeks, we want to remind you of the guidelines the Transportation
Security Administration (TSA) has established with input from the
American Diabetes Association for traveling with diabetes supplies.

* Notify the security screener that you have diabetes and are carrying
your supplies with you.

* Make sure a professionally printed pharmaceutical label identifying the
medication accompanies your insulin vials, pen, injector and/or pump.
Since the prescription label is usually on the outside of the box containing

the insulin or pens, it is recommended that passengers refrain from
discarding their insulin box and come prepared with their insulin in its
original pharmaceutically labeled box.

* There is no limit on the number of empty syringes that may be carried
through the security checkpoint; however, insulin must be with you in order
to carry your syringes or other insulin delivery device through the

* Lancets, blood glucose meters, and blood glucose test strips can be
through the security checkpoint.

* Boarding with lancets is acceptable as long as the lancets are capped, and

as long as the lancets are brought on board with a glucose meter that has
manufacturer's name embossed on the meter (i.e. One Touch meters may
say "One Touch Ultra").

* Notify screeners if you are wearing an insulin pump, and request that they

visually inspect the pump rather than remove it from your body.

* Advise screeners if you are experiencing a low blood glucose level. Tell
you are in need of medical assistance.

The above protocol applies only to travel within the United States and is
to change. International passengers should consult their individual air
carriers for
applicable international regulations.

If you are denied boarding or face any other unforeseen diabetes-related
difficulties while passing through security checkpoints, please speak with
security checkpoint supervisor.

For more information please visit the American Diabetes Association's
web page at:

You may direct questions to email @ redacted

Unsubscribe instructions:
Please do not reply to this message. If you wish to either change your
email address, sign-up to receive additional American Diabetes Association
enewsletters, or unsubscribe from further email communications from the
American Diabetes Association, please click the link at the bottom of this

Click here to forward this message to a friend!