Re: [IP] talking to students

My daughter was diagnosed in February of 5th grade. Her class had
already read this same story before Jenny's diagnosis, but of course it
didn't mean much to the class because none of them knew a type 1 person.
Jenny missed three days of school (she wasn't hospitalized) and her
wonderful teacher had the class reread that story while Jenny was out.
When she came back, he invited Jenny and me to tell her story to the
class. The next year, at middle school, Jenny wrote an autobiographical
essay about her diagnosis experience. All of the teachers at her
elementary school use her essay when they teach the story in the basal
reading book.

What you did was a wonderful thing. There is nothing like a personal
experience to help kids connect to what they are reading.