Re: [IP] ATA and flying with diabetic supplies

I've been promising myself to write about my last travel experience from
Ohio to Canada and back again.

I did not have a note and found security was pretty much of a local thing
and not an international coverage.  In Chicago I pulled to  the side for
more  intensive checking.  When asked if I had any sharps I just said, "Yes
hypodermic needles and lancets." I went to open my suitcase and was
brusquely informed,  "We'll do that!"

I later figured they didn't want me pulling something bad out.  One of the
security guards asked if I was diabetic.  I told him I was and that's when
he announced to the other security people that his sister had diabetes and
that made him an expert.  He lectured the others and I was put on through.

In another airport, I was asked to turn my meter on.

In Van Couver, my test kit was going through the x-ray machine when
everything stopped because the guy ahead of me had to cop an attitude, so he
was put through more stringent investigation -- possibly delaying him enough
to miss his connecting flight.

I did mention that they were bombarding my insulin with x-rays and that
probably wasn't a good thing.  They got my stuff out right away.

I didn't have a doctor's note.  But, I did have my insulin boxes with the
pharmacy label on it.

I found my best tactic was to remain a sheep in the herd.  Didn't draw
attention to myself and was polite to everyone.

YMMV
: