[IP] re:microalbuminuria/ACE-I-"scary"

Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:59:37 -0600
From: "Stephens, Janet" <email @ redacted>
Subject: RE: [IP] microalb./ace-inhibitors="scary"??

What part is "scary"?  The urine test?  The fact that one may have
microalbunaria (sp?) or the need to take an ace-inhibitor to help your
kidneys out?  Please clarify.
I just don't understand what you meant when you said "it's scary".
Looking for clarification, since I was never "scared" about it (other than
the fact of knowing it was a D. complication).
janet (Dx @ age 3, 8/78; pumping H-tron+ since 6/00

>>>That is an exaggeration of course (but told to me by a nephrologist).
Still, its scary so you may want to ask your endo his/her opinion and then
Good luck.
Joann, Mom to Cara, age 16, Type 1 since 2/13/97, pumping since 3/98

I have been away and so have not been able to go through all the digests yet,
(I assume you are speaking directly to my response, since I was answering
Shawna's concerns).
Re: what I meant by "scary," I meant exactly what you said at the end of your
post....it is scary to think, or find out, that you may have a complication
of diabetes. That is the sense I got reading Shawn's post. My perspective on
this also comes from having similar
concerns re: my daughter's recent blood and urine test results, and realizing
that she may already be experiencing kidney involvement, 5 years after
diagnosis, with fairly good control. It would be scary for me, if it were me
(and I do not have diabetes) with the complication, but for me anyway, worse
to think my child is experiencing them, despite trying to keep her as healthy
as I humanly can. To perhaps put it in an even clearer perspective, in
addition to being a mother, I am a physician. I know plenty from the medical
perspective, but feel helpless when I cannot use that knowledge and wisdom to
help my child. That is what I meant by "scary".

Joann, Mom to Cara, age 16...17 on Dec 2nd! Type 1 since 2/97

     Pumping since 3/98