RE: [IP] Carbos in proteins

> If you eat a higher percentage of protein than in a normal serving, you
> rest assured that it will show up in your blood sugars anywhere from 2-6
> hours after you eat it.  Also consider that lots of proteins you eat
> some sort of fat and if you ask my opinion, it's the fat that causes the
> elevation of the blood sugars more than the protein.

Okay.  Clearing up some confusion here.  Neither protein NOR fat CONTAIN
carbs.  And, protein does NOT contain fat, nor fat contain protein.
However, foods that are high in protein TEND to be higher in fat...but not
necessarily.  Skim milk, for example, has protein and carbs, but no fat.
Cheese has fat and protein, but no carbs, etc.

How protein affects BG levels is in two ways.  First, as the body
metabolizes the protein, SOME of that protein eventually is broken down into
carbs, depending on several factors.  Numbers have been published, it seems
anywhere from 40-60% of protein is "converted" to carbs in the body.  This
accounts for SOME of the delay.  It takes time for the body to metabolize
that protein into carbs.

The other thing that happens and has been documented is that certain
proteins contain amino acids that trigger the body to produce glucagon.
Glucagon, in turn, results in a delayed rise in the blood sugar.  There is
still debate as to how much this plays into things, and from what
sources...but there are published studies that have documented this effect.
I, personally, refer to this as the "glucagon effect" (not a technical

It is hard to determine which aspect of protein is affecting your BG level
at any given time.  Essentially, it doesn't matter, unless you attempt to
bolus for the protein...in which case you just have to find what the pattern
is in your own body.

> You can check this out yourself by eating a larger piece of chicken than
> normal without ingesting any fat and check your b.g. an hour apart for
> several hours to see what effect it has on you.
> Then try something with protein and fat in it (usually something like
> cheese, peanuts,etc.) will make your b.g. rise several hours afterwards
> if there is little or no carbs in the foods.

Here is the problem.  It isn't really the fat that is causing the problem
here.  Cheese, nuts, and certain other foods contain the amino acid that
triggers the "glucagon effect" I mentioned earlier.  (Not all forms of
protein do.) I don't remember the name of the particular amino acid off the
top of my head...but I can look it up if need be.

Anyhow, what you are observing is NOT the fat making a difference...though
it APPEARS to be the fat.  Instead, it is the type of protein you are
eating.  What FAT does is delay the digestion of carbs, however.  So,
whereas straight carbs might take 20 minutes to get into the bloodstream, it
might take twice as long if you eat a lot of fat with the carbs (depending
on how the food is processed).

Less than 10% of fat is said to eventually convert to carbs in the body, so
fat itself has little affect on BG levels other than in the ways mentioned

> Another thing I find that totally messes up my b.g. is bite size
> Tostitos...I guess it's the white corn or something cause there aren't a
> of grams of fat in it but it sure as heck messes up my b.g. and I love
> them.!

Not sure about white corn.  But they have a lot of carbs.  Be sure to WEIGH
the chips as opposed to count them out to get a more accurate carb count for
them.  Chips tend to vary quit a bit.