[IP] talking to students

I am a school librarian in an elementary school in
Georgia.  This week I have had a chance to do
something I never considered. It is public knowledge
that I am diabetic and on a pump (among the teachers
anyway).  A 5th grade teacher came to me early in the
week and said that their next reading selection was
about a diabetic girl.  She wondered if I would talk
to her kids about diabetes.  Would I feel comfortable?
I have never hidden it before, and thought this might
be a good chance to use it in a positive way.

I spoke to them about the specifics of D...how the
body works and what happens when it doesn't; also the
tx, and my personal experiences.

I was amazed at their questions and concerns.
Almost everyone in the class had a relative with Type
I or II (mostly II).

Anyway, next thing I know I am speaking to 2 other
classes.  These discussions ran over by 15 min each.
Hopefully, I answered questions and raised awareness
about something that will be relevant.  I felt that I
was able to do something positive with a disease that
is less than positive.

Do you Yahoo!?