[IP] Re: reporting BG tests to insurance

The post I am replying to dealt with reporting BG
tests to their insurance company.  The assumption was
that the insurance company wanted to make sure that
the patient was really doing that many BG tests.

This immediately brings two questions to my mind...
1) IF the insurance company is trying to curtail the
secondary market of prescription products - why don't
they require other patients to report whether or not
they took their medications?

2) Could it be your insurance company is doing a CYA
over their future costs by making you report your BGs?
 What if at some point in the future you need
treatment for some complication (gawd forbid)?  If
your past BGs are above what your insurance company
would want them to be it is plausible that the
insurance company will deny you future benefits
because you didn't take care of yourself as they would
expect a diabetic "SHOULD".

This is not an imaginary scenario - I used to work for
a chemical company (not WITH the chemicals mind you,
but FOR the company) - this is exactly the same
scenario used by them.  Every year I was trotted in
for blood tests to verify my "baseline" levels for not
only chemical presence (hard to be exposed when you're
running the computer network), but also for my BGs.
It was explained to me by in-house counsel that this
is what those tests were for - limitation of

The insurance industry will (hopefully) be next on the
federal investigation list.  What are we REALLY paying

It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

-gail in denver
dx'd T1 02/14/72 @ age 11, pumping since 1985-ish.

Do you Yahoo!?