[IP] Re: *so-and-so didn't take care of themselves*

"jhughey" <email @ redacted> wrote:
>all those who say *so-and-so didn't take care of themselves*
I hate when people tell me this.  Since I usually don't know the person or
anything about them it is hard to defend a fellow diabetic but I still feel
bad because its generally people with little knowledge about diabetes making
these statements.  Let them walk in our shoes.  My family is good about not
telling me what to eat (I told my recently diagnosed daughter that she is
lucky in that aspect that they are "broken in").  Co-workers and friends will
say "you can't eat that".  I told a co-worker that smoked that when she quit
smoking and had been diabetic as long as me , then she could tell me what to
do.  The point was not that I was criticizing her smoking but we all have the
right to make choices for ourselves.  When I worked in a nursing home I felt
bad that they wouldn't allow the diabetics to have one little piece of cake at
the monthly BD party (sometimes they would give them fruit instead!).  After
awhile the nursing staff eased up.
>I have lots of people tell me I  have taken good care of myself and I tell
> them I did not
People will tell me that I don't have complications because I take care of
myself.  I know it is because I am lucky and I do hope it is genetic.  My
daughter has gotten diabetes but hopefully she will not get any
complications.  I went through 10 years of 1 shot a day and no BS testing and
I don't even want to think what my  A1C would have been in college if that was
available.  My goal during that time was not to go low.  I thought urine tests
were a waste because they wouldn't tell me if I was low.
As far as the food police go, I have known for a long time that a carb is a
carb but until I joined groups like this, I didn't have the knowledge to stand
up for myself and explain why I could eat whatever.

Type 1 29 years, pumping 3 1/2 (and thankful to have the pump and the support
of other pumpers especially on Thanksgiving!)