Re: [IP] Whole Fried Turkey??? (was Diet Vanilla Coke)

On 11/22/02 4:00 PM, "Jacqueline Hall" <email @ redacted> wrote:

> It does sound pretty gross, I can just imagine the oil dripping off, nice for
> the body isn't it :)
> Jacqui
> Oh mah gawd....are you saying the whole turkey is fried...whole??
> Do you buy them from the grocery store already fried?
> Or do people do this in their homes? What type of cauldron do you have to have
> full of boiling oil in order to fry a turkey whole?

You do let the oil drain from the cavity and then you are not dealing with
much oil at all.   As someone else mentioned, the Turkey is not breaded so
the skin seals pretty much immediately and you are left with very moist
meat, but not moist from the oil.   The most popular recipes are for the
Cajun Fried Turkey, injecting spices into the breast and legs, and it is
deeee-licious.      ;>P

It does get costly, using about 5 gallons of peanut oil  for a good sized
bird.   Most will skim off the oil and store it in a cool area for reuse on
cooking the Christmas bird.  And it is more fun to cook your own bird.  The
boiling oil spurting up and out the cavity of the bird is quite a site.
This is DEFINITELY an outdoor cooking event.