What is the point, here? (Was: [IP] Can you help)

>>>THIS WEEK'S CALL TO ACTION: Call President Bush. Urge him to sign H.R. 5738.

>>>The final step is for President Bush sign the bill. Please call the White House at (202) 456-1111.

>>>H.R. 5738 passed both the House and Senate unanimously, so the Association would like to thank all Senators and Representatives for their support. <<<

I really don't get this.  If it passed both houses of Congress unanimously, President Bush could veto it, and his veto would go no where.  A vote of 60% of Congress would override that veto.  I think the first President who did not sign a bill he objected to that would have a veto overridden was Reagan.  The bill he objected to went into effect ten days later.

Just suppose for a minute, President Bush did veto it.  A unanimous vote in Congress would make that veto irrelevant.  Therefore, he will likely sign it.  Even if he doesn't, the money WILL go to diabetes research.

So why the call for action?  I think the work is done, unless, somehow, what I learned about how government works was in error.  Can anyone enlighten me?

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990

One click access to the Top Search Engines