RE: [IP] Whole Fried Turkey??? (was Diet Vanilla Coke)

HOWDY FROM DALLAS TEXAS, JHENN!...
...where my husband just bought his first "TURKEY FRYER"!!!  He also brought home the largest whole turkey that Kroger had to offer to fry for his work Thanksgiving lunch today!
It was pretty funny watching him deal with the whole turkey preparation event!  Questions like, "WHAT'S THIS BAG OF STUFF INSIDE?!? DOES IT GO INTO THE FRYER TOO?!?"  I'm laughing as I type!
Anyway, he did indeed fry the whole 20lb. turkey!
You buy a "cajun style fryer"  which is a big metal pot and a stand which hooks up to a propane tank.  Fill it with peanut oil and then fry it at 3min/lb!  FRIED TURKEY!  The whole kit costs about $35 and also comes with a big syringe so you can inject seasonings into the bird b/f you fry it:-)    So, of course there were comments made about switching out my H-tron for the HUMONGO turkey syringe!:-) heehee
It's a reletively new strategy for preparing turkey to me as well, I've known about it for 3 years or so.  IT IS SO GOOD!  NATURALLY!  As my brother would say, "It's go the full fat flavor!"
There you go, Jhenn!  YOU COULD BE THE FIRST TURKEY FRYER IN CANADA!:-)
Have a great weekend!
PS: I have yet to see Diet Vanilla Coke either!  I'll have to take a closer look next voyage to Kroger!!
--janet (Dx @ age 3, 8/78; Htron+ puming since 6/00)

Oh mah gawd....are you saying the whole turkey is fried...whole??
Do you buy them from the grocery store already fried?
Or do people do this in their homes? What type of cauldron do you have to have full of boiling oil in order to fry a turkey whole?
I'm sorry, my mind is boggled by this concept...and yet... strangely intrigued.
I've never experienced this in Canada, is this an American delicacy? Your poor arteries.
:)
Jhenn
PS I'm heading to Michigan this weekend, you can bet I'll be asking my husband's grandma for a whole fried turkey!!! (Or is it only for Thanksgiving?)

>>> email @ redacted 3:31:39 PM 11/22/02 >>>
I must be way behind times or maybe it's my location. I had never seen
Diet
Vanilla Coke until this week and I have yet to see Diet Code Red or
Diet
Cherry Coke. I know Southerners aren't too high on low fat foods so
maybe
the diet drinks are marketed here last. The availability of a lot of
the low
fat items I used to buy in the north is some what lacking here in
Memphis.
Next week, though, every grocery store in this area will be offering
whole
FRIED turkeys.