RE: [IP] Basal Testing!--Q&COMMENT

Hi Summer and pumper-friends,
I wanted to reply about both of your comments below.
1.  BASAL TESTING:  My CDE/pump trainer (2 years ago) told me very explicitly that NO FOOD should be eaten (or drunk) even if it is "carb-free" b/c it could affect your BG so it must be a true fasting period.  It is interesting that other CDE's evidently permit some "free foods".

2.  I am still struggling with the issue you described below about sleep-time BGs.  If I eat ANYTHING with carbs after 8:00, it doesn't matter what it is and it doesn't matter how perfectly I count carbs and bolus, I wake up HIGH at 2AM; then I take my correction bolus, go back to bed and when I wake up again around 6:30AM I usually have not gone down at all!  But if I am able to not eat anything after 8PM (VERY HARD FOR ME!) I sometimes wake up low at 2AM.
I do know I need to do a basal test overnight!  But aside from that I need help to figure out my bizarre metabolism during the night!  I am wondering (help anyone?!) if I need to change my bolus ratio for the 8:00-bedtime span or should I just try to strictly prohibit any food intake at night (which would help my weight loss efforts)?   Last night I had pizza and I guess I over-bolused a bit b/c 1.5-2 hours later I was 47, I had some juice and felt better.  I tested an hour later (before bed) and was 52.  I did not eat anything else and went to bed b/c I KNEW if I ate/drank anything else I'd spike in my sleep.  So, went to bed at 52!  I woke up at 2AM to test, feeling high and was 227!  I took 2.5u and went back to bed.  woke up at 6:00AM and my BG was 220!!!  I'm very frustrated!  this isn't new but I don't know what to do.
I have an endo appt. Dec 5th but frankly, I don't know if he'll have much help to offer me on this!  He is the one who told me he didn't care much about basal tests!--this is my most recent endo (3rd one) I have had to switch to b/c my insurance dropped my previous awesome endo & CDE/pump trainer who got me on the pump and doing great!  I'm a bit frustrated, looking for suggestions, and wanted to say, Summer, that I was glad to read that at least one other pumper has been experiencing what is my biggest frustration!  Although, I certainly hope you get yours worked out soon:-)
If anyone has any words of wisdom or suggestions, or even any endo's in Dallas, TX who are covered by CIGNA-HMO I'd love to hear anything:-)  I'm trying to get pregnant too!  So, I want to stay in tight control!
Happy Friday everyone!
--janet (Dx @ age 3, 8/78; pumping H-tron+ since 6/00)
<<Summer wrote:>>
I was told that eating and then bolusing can effect your sugars for about 4 hours so in order to test the overnight sugars you should not bolus for anything within the 4-5 hours before bed.  This way you get the full picture of how your basals are working.  I really don't mind doing it once or twice, to make sure I have my basals down pat.  I can still eat sugar free foods like cheese and diet jello and veggies, anything that doesn't require me to bolus.
It really worked because I woke up low this morning and yesterday morning to.  Every other night when 've been having snacks I've been waking up high in the am, I was going to raise my basals- turns out I need to lower them and to find out if either I was going low and bouncing up to wake up high or have to adjust my nighttime bolus.

Summer (dx'd 1986 at age 4)
Pumping Nov.12/02 - Blue Paradigm