[IP] Re: Microalbuminuria

 "jhughey" <email @ redacted> wrote:

Phosphates in dark colas are not good for your kidneys. Diet pop like 7-Up,
Root Beer, orange drinks are phosphate-free and okay. I always hear people
say *so-and-so did not take care....* and I say, almost every one I know
will sit next Thursday at a well-laden table and say: I shouldn't have eaten
that much!! Well, having DM doesn't equip us with an automatic switch to
turn off our desires either. We are the same people we were before dx just
as they will overeat, but blame us for *not taking care of ourselves.* Let
them walk in our shoes even one day! I  read on this list before that if
someone ever saw us eat candy to bring up a low we will be blamed for not
taking care of ourselves as well. And, we must be pretty bad off if we have
to use a pump. I don't know what your aunt went through, and it was tough
back in the '50s and '60s and even later with only one shot a day,
unreliable pee tests, and one lab test every 1-3 months with no A1c's, etc.
so I personally wouldn't blame her until I actually knew what she went
through. We had to do our best back then and didn't see immediate results
cuz there was no way to. Actually, there wasn't much hope so many of us
didn't even try to do our best cuz we had no idea what that was. (~_^)

The sugar alone in soda is bad for your blood sugar.  If I've offended you, it
was unintentional, and I never "blamed" my aunt for anything.  I only meant
that she didn't have the tools or the knowledge to control her blood sugars
that we have today, and with her soda consumption (several a day), she was
probably walking around with sky-high blood sugars most of the time which lead
to complications.  I know people didn't know what to do back then, and we have
a better idea of what to do today, along with better medicines and technology,
so we can't compare our situations.  She did not have the benefit of a pump or
even MDI's, and people didn't think then that it was even possible to control
blood sugar in a normal range.  I also know that we're only human with human
desires and don't always have the discipline to do what's good for us.  As for
people making assumptions she didn't take care of herself, I've been told she
literally refused to give up soda, even though she knew it was bad for her,
and proudly proclaimed so.  It wasn't an occasional treat, it was a daily
ritual.  She didn't use it to bring up lows, she just drank it a lot.  Of
course, without hope, she probably figured, why bother? I'm going to die
anyway, I might as well as enjoy life while I can.  I'm not casting any moral
judgments or blame here regarding her behavior, just the fact that I have a
much better chance at avoiding complications with the tools and knowledge we
have today.  I also realize that even if I achieve "perfect control" there
will always be some risk for complications due to genetics and things we don't
yet know about diabetes.