[IP] Remicade

Subject: Re: [IP] Diabetes, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Rimicade

the new IV infusion with Rimicade? I wanted to know how it works and if
is helping you? I read you really have to be careful with infections,
like with our diabetes. Any comments would be helpful.
Pumping 11/02<<<<<<<<<

hi debbie,

i don't have RA, but my mom does, and for the past couple of years she has
been on a medication
called azulfidine (sp?) which has worked wonders. its original indication
was for something other
than RA (cancer i think?) but they prescribe it now for RA as well. she
lives most days pain-free,
and can now walk and drive without her wrists and ankles getting all stiff
and achy. and yes, with
RA you have to be careful with infections, esp if you are on steroids
because they can progress
rapidly before they're detectable.
Remicade is an anti-inflammitory drug Azulfadine was used and still is for
ulcerative colitis. Remicade is myelosuppressive, it kills red cells and
white cells in the bone marrow. It makes you anemic and prone to infections.
As it does this it destroys the RA antibodies that give the destructive
damage of RA. RA, Like IDDM is an autoimmune disease.  Many Folks with IDDM
get RA and Myesthenia Gravis because the HLA Groups are in Common. Mark
Lennard from Star Trek had MG and IDDM. I had 2 patients with that
combination when IO was In practice. spot
A. L. Bender, M. D.