From: Ryan Bruner [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 7:26 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Ultra vs Freestyle

Show your support for Insulin Pumpers.
Make a tax deductible donation now during our FALL Pledge Drive.

I have not used the Freestyle.  But I'm very happy with the Ultra, so I
haven't really considered switching.

As far as the Ultra, my biggest complaint (which someone else
mentioned) is that I frequently have a problem where if you don't get
the blood to fill the window fast enough, even though by the time the 5
seconds is up there is enough blood, that it will give an error.
Sometimes I feel like it is race.  :-)  So, I end up having to get a
bigger drop of blood than is technically necessary just to make sure
that the droplet is "sucked up" fast enough.

For example, if I apply the blood, and by the time it counts to 3 I am
only half-way full...then even if I fill the window by 5, I can expect
an error.  On the other hand, sometimes I don't have to completely fill
the window and it will still give me a result.

I find that I'll end up having to throw out about 1-2 strips per bottle
on average because of this.  But, all in all, it works well...and you
just can't beat 5 seconds!  It is so easy that I've done the entire
testing procedure while at a stop light with time to spare in the
past.  Also, the lancet device is very gentle, especially with the
depth adjuster. I usually use a lancet for close to a month.  WHen a
lancet is new, I have to go deeper to get blood.  As it "ages", I can
back it off some, still avoiding the pain.

One final tip...I never had considered using my thumbs until recently.
I found that not only can I get blood easier from my thumbs, but they
hurt a LOT less, even on the pad, plus there is more surface area to
use.