[IP] Re: Microalbuminuria

No, it's not an Albumin/Creatinine Ratio from a urine test.  It's a Bun/Creatinine Ratio from a blood test and I have no idea what it means.  I only know that it has gone up since my diagnosis in March and at 32, it is now out of the normal range (6-25).  Over the past 8 months my BUN (Urea Nitrogen) has gone up from 7 in March to 12 in May to now 19.  On the other hand, my Creatinine has gone down from 0.8 to 0.7 and now 0.6.  Again, I have no idea what this test means in the overall picture.

When I was first diagnosed, I had a random urine test where my Microalbumin/Creatinine Ratio was 23, and that's the only urine test I've had to date.  Hopefully my Endo can shed some light on this Friday, but in the meantime, it did make me a little nervous.  Since I have borderline low blood pressure, I didn't know what effects Ace Inhibitors would have and was just feeling discouraged that I might already be showing kidney damage, especially so early in the game.

My diabetic aunt died of kidney failure at 40 in 1964, so I'm worried about a genetic predisposition; however, my mother tells me she didn't take care of herself at all and was addicted to Coca Cola.  And this was back when people were only on one injection a day with no glucose meters, and no Ace Inhibitors, so I realize it's not a good example of what may or may not be in store for me.