RE: [IP] Stem cell breakthrough - Am I alone

NO SUMMER!  YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
I am not excited about it either but agree with you that it is a start.  I get approached the same way by folks who have just heard about it on the news.  To me, our pumps are more of a "cure" than this procedure, especially at this point in the game!  It seems to me that one would just be trading one type of daily mandatory med. (insulin) for another (anti-rejection meds).  Plus, in what I've read, one also becomes more susceptible to many diseases especially cancer due to the auto-immune damage (I know I'm not getting all the details correct here but my point remains the same).
It reminds me of an old hippie that use to live by my brother who sold this "herbal remedy" called Noni juice--a plant extract.  He tried to convince both my brother and me that I should switch to Noni juice and by doing so I'd never have to take insulin again!  "It's worked for many others!  Read my pamphlet!" he said.  WHATEVER!  First off, it's not a tried and true treatment method, as insulin is!  Secondly, IT CURES NOTHING!  You are just switching form one daily medication to another!
Obviously, I feel a bit strongly about this!  I love my pump and there will have to be something amazing to get me to go for it!
I now step down from my soapbox:-)
--janet

Am I alone on this?  I am not overly excited about this research, no don't get me wrong it is a great start and were on our way to a cure but it is nowhere near a cure yet.  I'm talking mainly about the Edmonton research.  I've had quite a few people come upto me and ask if I've heard or isn't it great... etc they seem to think it's a cure.  Personnally I would rather have shots then have that procedure and be on anti-rejection pills for the rest of my life.  I don't know it just doesn't get me all that excited.
  Now when people come up to me all excited about it, I tell them that its a start and were getting closer but when I explain the anti-rejection pills and stuff they seem to realise it's not a cure, cause what they understood it was have this simple procedure and no more shots or testing.. it's just the way they interpret it.

I hope they keep at it and soon find a cure but I'm not getting that excited yet.

Summer (dx'd 1986 at age 4)
Pumping Nov.12/02 - Blue Paradigm