[IP] Re: Stem cell breakthrough? Not quite!

I think people have misunderstood my point.  :-)

I am not the LEAST bit depressed about diabetes.  On the
contrary...diabetes has been, in some ways, beneficial to me (not
physically speaking of course :-).

And, some have read the impression that I think research should be
given up on.  On the contrary again.  My point is that we have been
deceived to think that this stem cell research is the answer to all of
the world's problems.  I can bet that in 10-15 years from now, people
will look back at the hype of stem cell research and see how people
just grasp at things in hope.

The "breakthrough" in creating insulin-producing cells is NOT a huge
step forward.  I will repeat that it is one small step forward of a
process that will take lots and lots of more small steps.  This
one "breakthrough" is not a huge step...but the result of several small
steps that led to this.  However, only the END RESULT is reported,
making it seem like a big step.  It took years and years for that "big

No, my point is not to say that the research is pointless or
futile...but to keep people grounded in the fact that we are going to
be living with this disease for a long time.  Happiness and joy does
not come in by looking hopefully at a future that may (or may not) ever
come...but instead, by ACCEPTING things as they are, and THEN hoping
that they will change.

I'm trying to admonish people from seeing the "stem cell breakthrough"
as being some giant leap an source of hope.  I've lived with my
diabetes for over 20 years now, and I've managed to do so happily and
without issue most of that time without ANY hype in stem cells.

When I was younger, still in school, I remember getting excited about
the research being done, hopeful that a cure would be found. I've since
come to see that a cure is still a long way off, and that hope, while
still there, has given way to contentment.  I'm hoping everyone else
can do the same.