[IP] Re: daughter in college

Becky - thanks for all your suggestions.  I hve forwarded them to Melinda
along with the others I have received.  She has been able to give herself all
of her shots since the 3 hour ordeal on Sunday.  She is still upset about the
girl that died.  In the paper they said she had the flu and high blood sugar
and that she was on medication for diabetes.  At least I could tell Melinda
that if she is testing at least 4 times a day, she would know if she was
headed for trouble.  Another paper said this girl had a "diabetes attack" -
(whatever that means, I hate teh term) and died of complications due to
diabetes.  I know there is a tendancy for everyone including the medical
profession to blame anything that happens to us on diabetes.  It would be
better if she was hearing this a year form now just like it would have been
better for her boyfirend to find someone else in a few months rather than the
day she got out of the hospital.

>>i imagine it must be hard going from seeing diabetes as "what my
>>mom has" to "what *I* have."

When she was having trouble with her shots I said that I know sticking
yourself with a needle is not something that seems normal.  But then again she
grew up seeing me give myself shots.  She said she thought it was "normal" for
me but not for her!  Its also hard for me to see diabetes as something that is
part of me to something that my daughter must deal with.  Of course I never
wanted her to have this but it has been a bonding experience.  The first time
we both were in the car testing our BS with our One Touch Ultras, I
thought "there's someone like me."  I haven't known too many diabetics (in
person, of course I now have all of you for support!)so at least we have each

Thanks again,
Type 1 29 years, pumping 3 1/2 years