Re: [IP] Re: Stem cell breakthrough? Not quite!

> 1.  The stem cells used in this study were MOUSE stem cells.

When I mentioned embryonic stem cells...I wasn't referring to this
particular research...but that the ultimate solution is going to depend on
embryonic stem cells from humans.  :-)  That is what I'm adamently
against...not mice stem cells.

> 2.  I don't see it at all discouraging that they did not manage to create
> islet cells.  They managed to grow cells that produce insulin.
> this technology is relatively new, this is a huge step.  We didn't go from
> automobiles to space shuttles immediately, but managed to get there
> nevertheless.

The point was that the insulin-production they managed to obtain was only
10% of the normal production of a beta cell...and didn't include any of the
other functions that the beta cells provide.  Huge step is a bit of an
exaggeration...it is, rather, one more small step built upon many many other
small steps.

> 3.  There are researchers and apparently some research to show that stem
> cells may have a natural defense to immune system attacks.  Even if they
> don't, the auto-immune response has to be addressed in ANY cure.  Should
> not look at any cure research because there will still be the auto-immune
> response?  I certainly don't think so.

We might win the battle, but the war can never be won.  Death and disease
are inevitable.  We manage to wipe out one disease, but new ones are
constantly being discovered.

> I for one am NOT happy with the idea of my son living the rest of his life
> with this disease and I will do everything in my power to see that this
> doesn't happen.  And I am firmly convinced that there will be a cure.  Of
> course, I also like the research aimed at preventing the onset of diabetes
> in the first place, but there is no reason it has to be one or the other.
> And most likely a treatment that would prevent the onset of diabetes would
> prevent the recurrence of diabetes in any new cure developed.

Not necessarily.  A preventative measure would very likely prevent the body
from contracting whatever "bug" it is that caused the body to react the way
it did to kill offf the beta cells.  But, once the body is "programmed" to
do so, the same preventative measure would not help.  Rather, the stem cell
"cure" would require the ADDITIONAL work of figuring out how to make the
body NOT react against the stem cells.  So, there are actually TWO cures

I realize that most diabetics do not share my view.  :-) But, I am not
convinced that a cure will happen in my lifetime...but I do believe that if
more effort were spent on preventative research, that millions of lives
could be spared in the future.  I don't care that is no use to me today, for
this world is not my home. I just feel that by spreading research dollars in
so many different areas, we are losing focus and ultimately it will cost
more lives than it will save, because it will take longer in all areas to
make progress.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

I realize that this is just me.  (I'm making an effort to stimulate
conversation and thinking here, not to be argumentative or difficult, BTW.)