[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #797

In a message dated 11/19/2002 4:58:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 13:46:07 -0500
> From: Shawna <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Microalbuminuria
> I just got the results of my latest blood work.  My A1C was 5.3, which made
> me ecstatic.  But then I noticed that my BUN/Creatinine Ratio was 32 (it
> was only 17 in May).  I'll be seeing my Endo on Friday, but in the
> meantime, I'm wonderin

Hi Shawna,

Do you mean Albumin/Creatinine ratio? That is what they generally use to
determine if you have microalbuminuria. The first morning urine specimen is
what is needed and it is best to  confirm the results with two additional
tests in a six month period of time. Having said that, there are some
nephrologists (kidney docs) that feel the Ace Inhibitors should be placed in
the public drinking water since they are so helpful in protecting later
That is an exaggeration of course (but told to me by a nephrologist).
Still, its scary so you may want to ask your endo his/her opinion and then

Good luck.

Joann, Mom to Cara, age 16, Type 1 since 2/13/97, pumping since 3/98