Re: [IP] Diabetes & Smoking very unhealthy Off topic

Tami <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I get the feeling you were not a smoker. Telling a smoker to just quit, it
> is very hard to quit.

You are right - it is *VERY HARD* to stop.  But you and I are proof that it
can be done.

I smoked for 12 years and was up to 2 packs a day when I quit.  I'll tell
the story because it may help others.  I was in the Army (an organization
that used to *encourage* smoking by  supplying cigarettes in every package
of C-ration a soldier received) in Okinawa.  I was visiting the rector
(pastor) of All Souls Episcopal Church one Saturday, helping with some
routine chores around the church.  I started to light a cigarette when his
then 4 year old son said "Don't you realize that it will make you sick one
day?"  I couldn't answer him, so I put it out and never smoked another.  The
first 48 hours were the hardest.  Many years later, I had the opportunity to
ask the pastor if he'd put his son up to it, and it was the first he'd heard
of it.

> Nicotine is very hard to get out of your system, let
> alone the habbit part of smoking, it is not just a addiction but a habbit
> also.

You have it backwards - it is not just a habit, but an addiction.
Addictions are many orders of magnitude more difficult to shed than habits.

> Pray for smokers and
> that they will find the incentive to quit like I did 2 years ago.

I will.  I do.

Jim Handsfield