Re: [IP] Re: Stem cell breakthrough? Not quite!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marisa Schmidt" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Stem cell breakthrough? Not quite!

I agree with Marisa.  I do NOT want my child to have to live with diabetes
the rest of her life. I may have this wrong, but wasn't the polio vaccine
derived from an embryo too???  My youngest daughter that doesn't have
diabetes is in the DPT trial and I am hoping they do come up with something
to stop diabetes from happening as she has the antibodies that can cause it.

I also heard somewhere that they were even thinking of polymer coating the
islet cells so the body couldn't attack the new islet cells again.

Alot of embryos are discarded in fertility clinics.  You don't see anyone
calling that wrong.  Why can't the cells be used for something good rather
than being discarded?
I try to think of it like a donor.

It is controversial, but my parental feelings want me to help my child .