[IP] Re: fixing highs

> I think I need to re-read the 1800 rule.   When I do the calculations
> based on what you just said,  the correction dose we would give is
> actually double what we are using which is working fine.   And we use
> even less of that at night to prevent his seizures.

Barbara, I don't think this rule is meant to be for children.  Or at least I
think that it would not likely be relevant for many, many pumping kids.
       Claire needs one unit of insulin to metabolize 15 grams of
carbohydrate in most situations.  However, she needs very little insulin to
bring down high bgs, and she uses the amount which was suggested to us by our
pump nurse, which indicates to me that this amount is common with children.
One unit of insulin will bring down a high from 15.0 mmol/L to 5 mmol/L--this
is easy math, as .1 of a unit brings her down one number.  In the American
system this equates to one unit lowering her from 270 mg/dl to 90 mg/dl, so
one unit will lower about 180 points.   At very high bg levels (say over 375)
she MAY need a bit higher amount, but not always.  That means that most of
our correction boluses fall in the range of .5 to 1 unit of insulin.
       None of those ratios and calculations for raising and lowering bg
levels apply to Claire.  I wonder if they work for other kids??  Anyone?

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8