RE: [IP] What would other dmers do? (long)

Let me tell you what I did.  I changed jobs a about a year ago and I had a lapse in coverage from the Sept. 19 to Nov. 1.  Since I have a family, I went ahead and signed up for Cobra for that just in case event.  However, when I got my cobra bill, the first payment was due until after November 1 and they stated that they won't pay expenses until that bill was paid.  So I waited to pay the bill to see if I needed the coverage.  Fortunately, I didn't need the coverage so I let the cobra insurance lapse when my new insurance became active.

I think it is a good idea to take to cobra coverage, but pay attention to the little details.  You may not have to pay before your new insurance takes over.  That way you have the piece of mind on knowing you have coverage if you need it.