Re: [IP] Merck-Medo question (not a gripe...yet)

Artorius Rex wrote:

We just finished going thru open enrollment.  I spent hours on the phone trying
to compare different plans.  They usually tell you to look it up on their web
site.  The problem being that when you are not signed up on the plan you do not
have an access number or plan number.....
On all three plans we had to chose from there were three different pharmacy
providers.  All three plans included infusion sets as DME which was a different
provider.  Two of the three plans had contracted with MiniMed and one said I
needed to order them thru another provider.
Ask you benefits department for a contact person at the insurance co.  The
health insurance co. probably can answer questions about medical coverge and
also DME.  They probably can't answer questions about the pharmacy coverage.
Also be sure and try to talk to a supervisor if you have a number or questions
or at least try and avoid talking to someone going thru training if you have a
number of specific questions.  (You end up having the educate them completely on
an insulin pump.)  Be sure and document when you talked to them, the employee's
name and employee number.  I've been told more than once wrong information.
This last round of open enrollment I ended up talking to one of the VP's of
Benefits trying to figure out coverage.  They were SUPRISED to hear what I had
been told by the insurance co's. because it was NOT what they had contracted
for.

Susanne.

P.S. I  ran into some notes that I made three years ago and I still ask mostly
the same questions each year during open enrollment.  But now I do have a
contact person at my husband's employeer that can run interference for me with
the insurance company.