Re: [IP] What would other dmers do? (long)

2 things, don't know if either of them will help you.

First, my dad (who has been retired for almost 10 years, so laws
definitely could have been changed since then) told me once that a
company has a certain number of days to send you the forms for COBRA.  I
think maybe you fill them out and send them in, then you have a certain
number of days before your first payment is due.  If you have other
insurance by then, no problem, do nothing.  If you NEEDED coverage during
that time, send in the payment and it's covered.  Don't know if that's
true, don't know if it was ever entirely true.  He worked for a company
with extremely generous insurance coverage, so their plan could have been
completely different from your company's policy.  Still, it might be
worth looking into.

Second, my best friend always wanted to be a stay at home mom.  She had
hepatits right before she was married.  It was much cheaper for her and
her husband to be on separate policies, so she didn't bother getting on
his insurance at the time of her marriage.  Well, apparently, she could
have gotten on then with no problem.  However, when she quit her job and
decided to be a housewife, her hubby's insurance basically said, NO,
YOU'VE HAD HEPATITS!!!  SOOO, they ended up making COBRA payments through
her entire first pregnancy, and for several months afterwards.  All that
to say, you might want to get on your fiance's insurance as soon as
possible, since you have a pre-existing condition.

Hope that's a tiny bit of help.  Blessings on your new job and your