[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
  [Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: [IP] What would other dmers do? (long)

If it were me, I would COBRA for those few weeks (month) until my new kicked 
in. It would be worth the $ just in case something did happen. Then, when 
you do get married, if it's cheaper to go on your husband's insurance than 
stay on your employer's insurance, you could switch then....but usually it's 
cheaper to be on your employer's than to be a dependent on someone else's.

One thing you may want to check out....when will your insurance coverage end 
with your current employer? Does it end the day you leave? Or, the last day 
of the month? With some insurance coverage it ends your last day of 
employment...with some it ends the last day of the month in which you 
worked...so you may want to check that out first...so then if it ends the 
last day of the month (12/31), then you wouldn't have a lag in insurance 

Good Luck!!!!
My company is downsizing, so I accepted a new job to start Dec 9.  My 
job ends Dec 5.  Insurance benefits for the new job will start Jan 1.  They 
changing to a new insurance, so I don't know what it is yet.  My fiance has
Cigna PPO through his job.  We are set to get married March 15, and I could 
on his insurance then if I wanted to.  Looking at his 00 info, the policy 
pretty good, and really cheap copayments, but I don't know if it changed.  
mom had Cigna HMO, and she says they closed all of their offices here and
payments went way up in the last year.  Weird stuff has been happening so 
worried they are going under.  Also, we are going on vacation for a week for 
family reuniuon over Christmas, and since my fiance works in retail he is
worried that they may fire him for that.  Don't ask why he hasn't discussed 
with them yet but I think if he had discussed it a long time ago he would 
been fine.  He is a supervisor so I think they will still need him after
Christmas.  But he works for some pretty stupid people so who knows.  I 
think I
would be ok to just not have insurance from Dec 6 to Jan 1.  I have enough
supplies until then.  According to my HR rep, Cobra has 30 days to send me 
paperwork so I would be eligible for my own insurance by the time I could 
up for that.  My mom says I could go on Cobra now and even though the 
doesn't come for 30 days I am covered immediately.  Regardless, Cobra for 1
month is $300 I would rather not spend.   My mom is freaking out about that-
"what if something happens to you and you have a kidney infection or
ketoacidosis or a broken leg?"  She typically gets paranoid about stuff, so 
used to shrugging off most of her worries.  But are her worried justified in
this case?  I haven't had a kidney infection but once 4 years ago, 
not since 6 years ago.  I do know how to take care of myself.  My fiance 
we can get our marriage license signed and get legally married right now so 
can get on his insurance.  First of all, I don't want to do that unless
absolutely necessary.  I want my wedding to be a normal wedding (jitters and
all- ha ha) and
not have to change it, like everything else in my life, for the
sake of dm (unless I absolutely have to).  Since legally I can be without
insurance for 60 days, I think I will be fine for 3 weeks.  And anyway what 
we do it and he gets fired, or Cigna goes under, or is a horrible plan...?
So I need to decide in the next 2 weeks if I should get married legally and 
on my fiance's Cigna PPO plan, go without insurance for 3 weeks, or try 
for 1 month.  Please tell me what you would do if you were in this position,
and why.  I really need opinions from people who understand.  Everybody else
keeps telling me to just go out and buy insurance for 3 weeks.  Sure, it's 
easy!  lol


Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. 
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
send a DONATION http://www.Insulin-Pumpers.org/donate.shtml