[IP] What would other dmers do? (long)

My company is downsizing, so I accepted a new job to start Dec 9.  My current
job ends Dec 5.  Insurance benefits for the new job will start Jan 1.  They are
changing to a new insurance, so I don't know what it is yet.  My fiance has
Cigna PPO through his job.  We are set to get married March 15, and I could go
on his insurance then if I wanted to.  Looking at his 00 info, the policy looks
pretty good, and really cheap copayments, but I don't know if it changed.  My
mom had Cigna HMO, and she says they closed all of their offices here and
payments went way up in the last year.  Weird stuff has been happening so she's
worried they are going under.  Also, we are going on vacation for a week for a
family reuniuon over Christmas, and since my fiance works in retail he is
worried that they may fire him for that.  Don't ask why he hasn't discussed it
with them yet but I think if he had discussed it a long time ago he would have
been fine.  He is a supervisor so I think they will still need him after
Christmas.  But he works for some pretty stupid people so who knows.  I think I
would be ok to just not have insurance from Dec 6 to Jan 1.  I have enough
supplies until then.  According to my HR rep, Cobra has 30 days to send me the
paperwork so I would be eligible for my own insurance by the time I could sign
up for that.  My mom says I could go on Cobra now and even though the paperwork
doesn't come for 30 days I am covered immediately.  Regardless, Cobra for 1
month is $300 I would rather not spend.   My mom is freaking out about that-
 "what if something happens to you and you have a kidney infection or
ketoacidosis or a broken leg?"  She typically gets paranoid about stuff, so I'm
used to shrugging off most of her worries.  But are her worried justified in
this case?  I haven't had a kidney infection but once 4 years ago, ketoacidosis
not since 6 years ago.  I do know how to take care of myself.  My fiance says
we can get our marriage license signed and get legally married right now so I
can get on his insurance.  First of all, I don't want to do that unless
absolutely necessary.  I want my wedding to be a normal wedding (jitters and
all- ha ha) and not have to change it, like everything else in my life, for the
sake of dm (unless I absolutely have to).  Since legally I can be without
insurance for 60 days, I think I will be fine for 3 weeks.  And anyway what if
we do it and he gets fired, or Cigna goes under, or is a horrible plan...?
So I need to decide in the next 2 weeks if I should get married legally and go
on my fiance's Cigna PPO plan, go without insurance for 3 weeks, or try Cobra
for 1 month.  Please tell me what you would do if you were in this position,
and why.  I really need opinions from people who understand.  Everybody else
keeps telling me to just go out and buy insurance for 3 weeks.  Sure, it's that
easy!  lol