Re: [IP] Breastfeeding and Recent News Release

Thanks for sharing that, Barbara.

My children are four years old and seven months.  Both were exclusively breastfed.  No signs of diabetes so far!  I was a breastfed baby myself, though, so it doesn't always work.  But I figure a little extra measure to avoid it is a good thing.

I have often thought that there would be nothing worse than having a very young child who was diabetic.  I was diagnosed at fourteen -- at least I could be aware and a participant in my own care.  What do parents of infant and toddler diabetic children do?

I also found breastfeeding did wonders for my insulin needs.  I needed a lot less insulin than prepregnancy.  I'm still needing less, but expect that will gradually change as solids begin to take a bigger role in my daughters life.

I would encourage any mother, diabetic or not, to breastfeed her children.  I'm so glad I did!  I love the closeness, and the satisfaction of providing nourishment to the growing child.  My son nursed until he was past two.  I hope my daughter doesn't give it up too soon!  It is so much easier than bottle feeding, once established, and much more fulfilling.

Kristen Olgren
dxd 1985, pumping since 1990