Re: [IP] Insulin Pumps and College

As a college student right now I can relate.  I was diagnosed when I was 11
(9 years ago) and just started pumping this past July.  I went through all of
high school and my first 2 years of college without a pump.  In high school I
missed days pretty often b/c of my diabetes and the same for my first 2 years
of college.  Since I have started pumping, I have not had any problems that
caused my to miss school-I have not missed a day this semester.  The pump
makes things so much more flexible and I don't have to worry when I have my 3
hour classes that I will need to leave b/c I am low or high so I don't miss
any of the lecture and hands on work.  That said, I don't know how I made it
through my first two years without a pump.
    I have also had a few relationships.  Two pretty serious ones in high
school and one semi-serious one in college.  All of the guys I have been with
had no problem with me having to be on a schedule (when I was on shots), they
liked me for me and did not dislike me because of a disease that I have and
had to stick to its schedule. I started the pump when I with my last
boyfriend and he supported me all the way, he wanted me to feel good so we
could go out and do fun things without having to worry what might happen if I
didn't eat at just the right time.....  So if a guy doesn't like you because
you have something attached to you or you have to take shots and stick to a
tight schedule, then he really never like "you".

  Diagnosed 8-13-93 (age 11)
  Pumping 7-18-02 w/ my blue paradigm "Lancelot"