[IP] changing sets andreservoirs

Four plus years of pumping and I change sets every 3 to 4 days, but I
continue using the same syringe and tubing for 6 or 7 days.   Haven't had a
septic infection yet.   Neither my CDEs nor my Endo have told me I was doing
it wrong.  Matter of fact, even Disetronic now sells their Rapid sets
packaged with one tube for every three needles which are used for two days
each.  When Disetronic, who is VERY cautious with their customers, sells a
tubing for six days of use, I don't think that septic infection is involved.
Where you CAN encounter an infection is in the handling of inserting a set.
Either the site or your hands not being cleaned thoroughly is the problem,
not using tubing for more than three days.   JME

well, insulin is a very inhospitable place for bacteria to florish. one of
its preservatives is cresol - a harsh antibacterial agent and a byproduct of
creosote purification. the stuff that makes insulin smell like band aid
adhesives. failure to protect the insertion site from germs and dirt is
another reason for infection, the time you should leave sets in is suggested
by fda wording. ifg you use comforts or tenderrs if the tubing has a red
margin around it its a good idea to change it.
A. L. Bender, M. D.