Re: [IP] Filling times / no syringes in the house

On 11/14/02 8:56 PM, "email @ redacted" <email @ redacted> wrote:

> injections), and I shouldn't wait until my alarm goes off because the reason
> you should change out every 3 days is to prevent a (septic?) infection that
> enters your blood stream.  She said after 3 days bacteria can build up in the
> warm insulin in the tubing and syringe, and that's probably why you should
> change them both out together.

Four plus years of pumping and I change sets every 3 to 4 days, but I
continue using the same syringe and tubing for 6 or 7 days.   Haven't had a
septic infection yet.   Neither my CDEs nor my Endo have told me I was doing
it wrong.  Matter of fact, even Disetronic now sells their Rapid sets
packaged with one tube for every three needles which are used for two days
each.  When Disetronic, who is VERY cautious with their customers, sells a
tubing for six days of use, I don't think that septic infection is involved.
Where you CAN encounter an infection is in the handling of inserting a set.
Either the site or your hands not being cleaned thoroughly is the problem,
not using tubing for more than three days.   JME