Re: [IP] Filling times / no syringes in the house

In a message dated 11/12/02 5:51:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Actually, I don't think that it matters when you FILL the resevoir/tubing.
> The problems is with putting a new set in(side).  Newly filled tubing
> wouldn't cause a bad site.  As long as you prime correctly, get all the
> bubbles out, you should be fine.  I change my site and tubing
> independently,
> the site every 3 days, and the resevoir whenever it is empty.
> thanks,
> Mario

         So you don't calculate how much insulin you use in 3 days plus 25u
for priming?  The reason I ask is because  I changed out my set last night
because I like to wait until I hear the "low volume" alarm, to conserve
insulin.  I calculate it for 3 days, and try to change it at around the same
time each morning, and that's when it usually goes off. but this time it
lasted until the evening.  So, anyway, I changed it out last night and my BS
was 308 when I woke up this morning.  ( It was 178 before I went to bed ).  I
did a corection bolus with the pump and 3 hours later it was 322, so I did a
correction bolus with a syringe, and it was in the low 60's about an hour
later.  I drank 1/2 c orange juice, and after 20 min. I continued to drop.  a
co-worker who passed by me in the hall came back with 2more 4-oz containers
of juice, and I drank them.  about an hour later I felt low again and tested
and I was 61, so I called my nurse, and she was really upset with me because
first of all I shouldn't change out my set at night, and I should have eaten
a protein and a carb ( but I thought that rule only aplied when on
injections), and I shouldn't wait until my alarm goes off because the reason
you should change out every 3 days is to prevent a (septic?) infection that
enters your blood stream.  She said after 3 days bacteria can build up in the
warm insulin in the tubing and syringe, and that's probably why you should
change them both out together.

(Sorry so long)