Re: [IP] Parents move forward with lawsuit against school administrator

THE PARENTS OF THIS GIRL SHOULD CONTACT BILL O'REILLY AT FOX NEWS.  WHEN HE LOOKS INTO SOMETHING - IT GETS NATIONWIDE ATTENTION.  THE WEBSITE IS www.foxnews.com.   Tammy

In a message dated 11/5/2002 6:59:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, CamelsRFun writes:

> The parents of a diabetic girl are suing a Palm Beach County school
> administrator, saying she improperly yanked an insulin device that was
> attached to the student.
>
> Jeffery and Deborah Wagner are seeking at least $15,000 from Nereyda
> Astiasaran-Perez, the assistant principal at Eagles Landing Middle School,
> west of Boca Raton.
>
> The lawsuit, filed last month in Circuit Court, stems from an incident in
> March, in which Astiasaran-Perez mistook an insulin pump for a beeper.
>
> A school district investigation from April cleared the assistant principal of
> any wrong doing, although Judy Hyman, the Wagners' lawyer, said that
> investigation was inadequate. Hyman works for prominent lawyer Bob
> Montgomery.
>
> "The district has nothing to say in terms of what happened except (Nicole)
> showed too much attitude," Hyman said. "That was their investigative report."
>
> The investigation and the lawsuit paint two versions of what happened.
>
> According to investigation and school district officials, Astiasaran-Perez
> called student Nikki Wagner over during lunchtime because she should have
> been sitting down. The administrator saw what appeared to be a beeper on her
> waist. Students are not allowed to bring beepers to school.
>
> Wagner, 14 at the time of the incident, said it was not a beeper, but the
> assistant principal kept asking what it was, Principal Ira Margulies said in
> March. Wagner took it off, put it on a table and ran out of the cafeteria,
> Margulies said.
>
> Astiasaran-Perez soon realized it was a medical device and called the
> school's police officer, who immediately found Wagner and returned it,
> Margulies said.
>
> The Wagners say in their lawsuit that Astiasaran-Perez, in front of all the
> students in the cafeteria, demanded, "Give me that beeper" to Nicole. When
> Nicole tried to explain that it was an insulin pump, Astiasaran-Perez refused
> to listen, according to the lawsuit. Wagner took the pump from Nicole and
> pulled the pump, the lawsuit states.
>
> The incident caused Nicole to get a laceration and infection, Hyman said. The
> girl suffered "scarring, mental anguish, inconvenience and loss of the
> enjoyment of life," according to the lawsuit.
>
> Margulies said that school administrators could not comment about the lawsuit
> and referred questions to the district's public information office. District
> spokeswoman Vickie Middlebrooks said the district's policy is not to comment
> about pending litigation.
>
> The Wagners have been vocal advocates of diabetic children. They have visited
> congressional offices, joined a School District health committee, created a
> diabetes Web site and lobbied schools on behalf of parents who have had
> similar problems. They could not be reached for comment.
>
> Scott Travis can be reached at email @ redacted or
> 561-243-6637.

Tammy, mom to Joely, dx'd 1970; g-ma to Emma, dx'd 2001; both pumping 7-18-02