[IP] Camping/hiking

Well, I've finally adjusted back to "civilization" after spending three days
and two nights in scenic North Central Alabama.  My endo suggested reducing
my basals by .1 across the board for the whole trip and didn't mention
anything about temp basals.  Communication with her took place through voice
mail and nurses, so I was less than pleased with her input.  In any case, I
thought I'd try what she said first, but I was a little apprehensive because
I really ran low last time I camped (I was on MDI at the time).  So, I
checked my B.S. a half hour into the hike and was pretty low.   At that
point, I decided to leave the lower basal rates to compensate for my lack of
stress (teaching high school math vs. hanging out in the woods--big drop in
stress), and I went to a real low temp basal for all my hikes.  Long story a
little longer--I went kinda low while hiking, but I just chomped on
lifesavers about every hour w/o bolusing for them.  I stayed in the 70-85
range for most of the hikes.

The only part of the trip that really surprised me was that my site just
yanked out while I was changing clothes back at the car.  I've spent the
whole summer in BFE Mississippi and sweated like the proverbial stuck pig,
but I guess three days worth of hiking was all it could take this time.  It
was the first time that had happened to me.  Luckily, we were a half hour
away from the KFC that we eat at on our way home, so I just put a new one in
there.  The best part was that the KFC had a Sunday lunch buffet.  I have to
admit that while I had the best of intentions to not eat that much, two
plates of mashed potatoes and gravy, two fried chicken legs and a breast,
two rolls, and two biscuits really hit the spot.  I did stay away from the
peach cobbler, but then I've never had much of a sweet tooth.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice and suggestions.  It was a lot of fun, and
I'll be heading back for New Years this year.  It's gonna be colder, but the
waterfalls should be running a little stronger at that time.  I can't wait.

Robert Page