Re: [IP] Food software/sites

Shaun Oakey wrote:

<<<Okay, so counting carbs is a breeze by now, but now I'm just starting to
work protein into the equation, and math was never my strong point anyway.
Last night it seemed to take longer to calculate what was in my meal --
there's protein in Brussels sprouts! -- than it did to actually eat the dang
thing. So I was wondering whether there is a Web site, or software
(preferably Mac-compatible), where I could just punch in what I'm eating and
it would tell me the total carbos. (I do know the USDA Nutrient

I have an Excel spreadsheet that gives you the Protein Factor of all food
items in the USDA database.  "Protein factors work the same way carb factors
work.  It gives you the percentage of the weight of the particular food item
that is protein grams.  My spreadsheet then figures 50% of these grams (there
was a debate on this list if we figure 40% or 60% of the protein, so I made an
average).  Now, you'll have to weigh the food to be able to use this method.
And if you do weigh it there might be a much easier way, since all proteins
have around 6-7 grams of protein in an ounce, you can roughly figure that one
ounce of protein would be equivalent to 3.5 grams of carb (if you happen to be
one of those people who need the insulin for the protein).
If you want a copy of the spreadsheet just let me know privately and I'll
email it to you.
Hope that helps.

Rabbi Hirsch Meisels
Jewish Friends With Diabetes