Walter and all Prospective Pumpers,
Imagine only one injection in three (give or take) days.  Imagine a basal
that changes with your mood, health, or activity.  Imagine delivering insulin
at the touch of a button instead of a dial or syringe.  Next to having a new
pancreas, this is as good as it gets.  True all the numbers and deliveries
are based on calculations you work at defining (like how high you adjust your
basal when you're sick).  But, it's so much more portable, convenient, and as
unobtrusive as diabetes management can be.
Here's the routine:
I find myself every three nights filling a reservoir with Novolog.  The
filled reservoir is attached to a line (small tubing) and placed into the
pump. The pump primes the line that is then inserted into either my abdomen,
leg, back, etc.  After that, The pump slowly and consistently delivers a
predefined amount of basal level insulin, and anytime I eat, I carb count,
determine how much to bolus and press the arrow keys up for the correct bolus
amount, verify the amount, and boom, I'm chowing down on some yummy nummys.
Unfortunately, glucose is a bugger to measure in vitro, and so, no Walter,
there is no glucose reading via the pump.  And, I pray I'm wrong, but the
device that measures glucose and delivers insulin is still a long way from
becoming a real product.  So, you'll still have to carry around your trusty
glucometer and strips.

I am 29, married, with two wonderfully rambunctious kids, and a fairly active
lifestyle.  Yes, every once in a while when my three year old is climbing
over me he finds that inserted tubing with his foot, and pops it out . . .
and sometimes the tubing gets caught on something and yanks out the insertion
. . . and sometimes the tubing gets kinked, and sometimes the site just isn't
as responsive to insulin as others, BUT, that same three year old isn't
finding my stash of syringes anymore (because they aren't in the house
anymore), and really now I'm more careful where I place my insertion site (so
I CAN rough house with the kids), and my meal planning is nearly as
spontaneous as it used to be.  My control is unbelievable (HbA1c 4.9), and my
low's and hi's are minimal.  I guess what I'm saying is . . . I LOVE MY
PUMP!!!  Insulin delivery is more consistent, precise, and reliable.  I must
remind you that this is a personal experience, and that not everyone enjoys
the pump as much as I do, or has as much success.  I only know my
experiences.  The pump is a tool not a magic bullet.  You don't expect a
hammer to up and hammer a nail in by itself, and neither should you expect
the pump to know your insulin sensitivity, whether you're sick, exercising,
or dropping.  Anyway, Walter, and all other prospective pumpers, Good Luck
with your decision.  I hope you're as pleased with your decision as I am with