[IP] Re: 40 hours till I'm pumping!!

Hi Summer,
       When Claire started pumping, she did take her bedtime does of NPH.  It
was only 2 units, as her morning dose was large and generally lasted 24
hours.  So the next morning she had some Humalog to cover her breakfast, but
no NPH, then we drove the 2 hours to the endos, and were hooked up at about
11:30.  As it was our very first insertion, it took Claire a little bit of
time to be brave enough.  Don't forget to bring your insulin to the
       My advice for the first few days is to only eat foods that you can
very accurately count the carbs on.  Do you already have a scale?  It is so
helpful.  Weigh or measure your food carefully, so you will be able to start
to figure out if your basal rates and bolus ratios are close to accurate.  If
you are totally uncertain about the carbs, it will be harder to accomplish
these goals.
       I gathered up a few alarm clocks for the early days, so I could set
one for 2 am and the other for 5 am and my regular one for 7 am!  It can be
hard to reset the same one for another 2-3 hours when you are a bit woozy.  I
think most people work on the overnight basal first to get it set accurately.

Good luck and Have fun,
Barbara, Mum of Claire 8