[IP] MD's Rule of Thumb

Today, at a bicycle club century and metric century event (I didn't ride, I
helped. Tomorrow I will ride.), I was bragging to an MD (anestheologist)
friend that I am just one month short of 60 years on insulin and tomorrow is
birthday #70. He responded that he could recall a rule of thumb that doctors
(used to?) use, to the effect that the effective age of a diabetic (T1 or
T2?) is the calendar age plus the number of years since dx. For me this
works out to 130 (I would put an exclamation point after the 130 but
mathematicians would interpret that as a factorial). I know we have several
people on the IP list for whom this works out to >100, so I don't think too
much of this rule, but I found it amusing.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000