[IP] Re: bolusing for high-protein meal

In a message dated 11/7/02 12:33:40 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< You mentioned taking 60% of the protein to calculate for bolus.  I was
taught that 40% of protein converts to carbs, NOT 60%.  Perhaps you
actually learned that 60% of the protein does NOT convert to carbs, and
got it backwards?  Or, perhaps my educator mistaught.  But, I've used
40% fairly reliably.  I always make sure I give that via a wave bolus,
however, and NOT a normal bolus, because the protein is delayed getting
into your system somewhat.  I tend to use about a 3.5 hour wave bolus
for protein...though I haven't perfected it yet.  :-)

Also, I was taught that 10% of fat get converted to carbs...though,
that can take 8-10 hours, and is likely negligible except for VERY high
fat foods (which we probably shouldn't be eating anyhow!  ;-) >>

I was just recently told by my CDE that 50 percent of protein is converted
into carbs! Geesh! I wonder what the correct amount really is. I've wondered
about the fat, too. I have had a hard time perfecting my technique for
high-protein and high-fat foods, especially because they are not something
eaten real often.
Any more info out there?
dxed T1 9/92, pumping since 1/02