Re: [IP] Increased basal for dinner

On 11/9/02 10:43 AM, "email @ redacted" <email @ redacted> wrote:

> 1. When I delay dinner I have to take a little humalog to keep things steady
> until I am able to have dinner.  If not, at 5:30 p.m. I have great bgs,
> (90-115) but by 6:45, I'm usually above 240. Therefore, I take a unit or two
> at 5:30, check at 6;30, 7:30, etc. until dinner, then take the pre-meal shot.

It appears that you will be increasing your basal rate at around 5 PM, and
thus avoiding any additional bolus, that is what the basal is for, to keep
you level whether you eat or not.
> What's it like with the pump?  I'm hoping I can delay dinner as long as I
> want, or even skip it. Is that within the realm of possibility?

The true beauty of pumping is apparent when you skip your first meal and it
has little impact at all on your balance.
> Do pumpers use protein in the calculation?

I do for meals containing more than 3 oz. of protein.