Re: [IP] insurance company question

At 01:18 AM 11/9/02, you wrote:
>In a state that has a diabetes cost reduction act that says an insurance
>company must cover the cost of testing strips (just one of the things it
>states), is it legal for an insurance company to say that it will only
>cover strips for one or two brands of meters and not the one I
>necessarily use?  If I get a prescription for test strips for the one I
>like (Therasense FreeStyle) do they have to cover them or can they say
>they only cover those made by LifeScan?  Is is a PPO plan in Michigan
>written by Aetna.
>Judi in MI

Yes, because they only have to provide test strips, not any particular
brand.  I discussed this with my State Senator who was very instrumental in
getting this law passed.  According to her the intent of the law was to
make sure that insurance covered diabetes supplies, not any particular
brand or amount.