[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #770

On 11/8/02 11:32 AM, "insulin-pumpers-digest" <email @ redacted>

> Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 04:28:41 -0500
> From: "Kristen Olgren" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Re: Legalities-AGAIN!
> I guess my concern is not so much with the buyer, ironically.  I FULLY
> understand someone desperately deciding to opt for a second hand pump,
> especially given the scenerio you described.
> What prompted me to ask the question I did regarding selling pumps on eBay was
> more from the perspective of the seller.  You did in writing absolve your
> seller of any responsibility for your health, but I don't see any requests for
> that on eBay.
> I guess I would be very uncomfortable going about the sale of an old pump of
> mine that way.  I'd rather do it through my doctor's office, if I did it at
> all.  As a seller, I wouldn't want to risk entering into that legal quagmire.
No real quagmire, simply ask for a copy of the letter of medical necessity
from the buyer's doctor and a letter from them releasing you of any
responsibility for their use of the device. Keep these in a safe place like
you would with your important documents.
> I guess I also wonder a little about the buyer, though, because I wondered if
> the warranty would still hold...

Well, the reps and everyone knew of my battles, and when I bought the pumps,
Disetronic treated me like a Queen. No charge, they TI'ed everything and
sent back the pumps, with 4 year Warranty!

After a while, one of them cracked when I dropped it a few times and they
replaced it without a peep.

When the four years were up they dealt with Medicaid/CalOPTIMA and I had my
new H-TRON Plusses in a couple of weeks..."Because you already had a pump"
EGADS! Now I do get my supplies and all from Medicaid through their
localized health care provider who handles the DME side. Medicaid itself
deals with my Rx for insulin, test strips and other meds, but the pumps and
it's supplies are from the DME side.

I really have to write highly of Disetronic and the way they're always
'going to bat' for me. I live close to one of their reps and he drove up a
few times with batteries for me, and they arranged for me to have Automatic
shipments of my infusion sets and cartridges and all. TOP NOTCH!
So, I am hoping this and the coverage continues for many years.

The Geek shall inherit the Earth!

Jenny Sutherland