Re: [IP] Re: Joslin 25-Year Certificate

In a message dated 11/7/02 12:15:09 PM Pacific Standard Time, email @ redacted

> Yes, while this is true, the proof does not have to be certified
> documentation.  When I was seeking my Certificate (after nearly 40 years of
> diabetes) I was afraid that the doctor who diagnosed my sister and I was no
> longer alive.  I had tried searching, and she tried contacting the hospital
> where she was admitted on diagnosis, but both attempts turned up
> nothing.  When I emailed the representative at Joslin, she told me that if
> a few family members would write a letter specifying certain historical
> events they associated with the time of your diagnosis, they would accept
> those letters.  My sister and I got lucky, I did finally track down the
> doctor who diagnosed us and he, even though he is in his late 80's and
> retired now, wrote me an email and did up a very nice letter which he sent
> to Joslin for us.  He was aware of the Certificate and Medal program and he
> was very happy to help.  We now both have our Certificates.
> RoseLea
> dx'd 1963
> pumping 2000

I was a little luckier. In 1997 when I called Joslin for my 50 year medal
they pulled my file out to see the earliest record they had of me being
Diabetic. My file the nurse said to me was like a Sears and Roebuck catalog.
I said what do you mean? She said it's big fat and full of a lot of Sh**. I
almost wet my pants. The earliest date was on page 1 12/1/1947! I was much
luckier than Jan or Tom I never got to a coma. My mother new right off what
was wrong as my brother had come down 12 years earlier with the sugar as it
was called then. Someday I should write a book about not being able to stay
over a friends house over night or having convulsions on the out field of a
ball park. I am going to the Joslin annul meeting Nov 16th. I must ask them
if they have given out any 75 year medals yet. In 1921 they started insulin
so 1996 would be 75 years. That means in 2017 Tom gets it and in 2222 I get
mine. Roger C