[IP] Where are the pumps

> On 7 Nov 2002, Ryan Bruner wrote:
> > Consider numbers.  MiniMed has a significant percentage of the market
> > share...going by the numbers on IP, it has over 70% of the pump market
> > (not sure how reflective that is overall).  Anyhow, let's say that
> > there were 10000 pumpers in the world (chosen as a nice round number).
> > 7000 of them would have pumps through Minimed, versus the 6% (or 600 in
> > this example) on the Animas pump.  Now, let's say that there is an
> > average of 1 complaint out of 10 users.  That means you will here of
> > 700 complaints from MiniMed, versus only 60 from Animas.  So, just
> > based on those numbers, you MIGHT get the impression that MiniMed has
> > more problems...but in reality, it is still just 10%.  (Again, I'm
> > making up numbers here for illustrative purposes.)
> Well 10% is 10% no matter where they live, but as far as figures go,
> the membership of IP is predominantly US based though we do have
> members worldwide.  In actual numbers, worldwide market-share is
> still close to 50-50 between Minimed and Disetronic,

That's not really true. There are far more pumps in the US than in EU
countries. There are something like 300,000 pumps worldwide, maybe a
few less. 150,000 of these or more are in the US, 40-50,000 in the
Far East, something less than 100,000 in the EU + rest of the world.
My guess (and it's only a guess) would put the EU at around 75,000